Matt Hawley Named William V. Campbell Trophy Semifinalist
DALLAS, Texas (Blugolds.com) – UW-Eau Claire football player Matt Hawley (Sr.-Hewitt, Wis./Marshfield) has been named as a semifinalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy and a candidate for the 2012 National Football Foundation (NFF) Scholar-Athlete Awards, the NFF recently announced.
Hawley was one out of 147 selected from around the country, from any NCAA division and the NAIA.
A defensive lineman, Hawley has played in all four games so far this season and has four tackles, including three for loss. He also has one sack. For his career, Hawley has played in a total of 19 games.
Around NCAA Division III, a total of 41 players were honored, including just two others from the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC).
2012 NFF NATIONAL SCHOLAR-ATHLETE CANDIDATE NOTES
- 3.57 Average GPA
- 29 nominees with a 3.80 GPA or better
- 91 Team Captains
- 74 All-Conference Picks
- 21 Academic All-America Selections
- 14 All-America Selections
- 50 Nominees from the Football Bowl Subdivision
- 35 Nominees from the Football Championship Subdivision
- 12 Nominees from the Division II
- 41 Nominees from the Division III
- 9 Nominees from the NAIA
- 68 Offensive Players
- 53 Defensive Players
- 26 Special Teams Players